Tuesday, February 10, 2009

decorating for under $5 or, how to fill your house with rubbish

How cool is this graphic retro piece in the hallway? Icy, shivering, goose bumpy cold. It's a $1 memory game I got from a garage sale and blu taced to the wall. There seems to be a number of unrelated themes going on in the choice of pictures: transportation (race car, yacht, plane, ship, rocket), sea creatures (crab, octopus), the passage of time (clock, watch, wooden tv, paint box everyone first reads as a laptop computer); as well as some darker references - angry bees, pup tent with a ghostly red indian chief face and CIA truck (aren't spies supposed to be, well, secretive?) I put it next to the light switch for the hallway and lounge room and spend inordinate amounts staring at trying to work out what exactly is going on here.


I got this telephone table for $5 from (where else) Savers. The seat did have a cushion of rotting foam and brown polyster shag that looked suspiciously like it was made from a toilet seat cover but I ripped that off before I even put it in my car. Then washed my hands obsessively for five minutes just in case. The wooden base is broken in half so orignally I intended to replace it but have grown attached to the way it looks now. Perfect is boring.


The stained glass in the door between the lounge room and the hallway. Always open as I do not enjoy listening to Ludo sit there and whine at it even when he doesn't want to go anywhere. As boss of the house he requires unrestricted to all areas at all times. What if someone walked down the street and he wasn't there to bark at them out the front window? It's too terrible to imagine.

No comments: